The transfer window closes on Friday and this saga will go down right to the wire – unless United pull out of the deal which probably could still happen at this point.
The reports for over a week now have been that the sticking point has been the transfer fee and any included add-ons. Personal terms with the player was said to have been a formality easily done and already agreed.
Reports from Portugal said that talks had been ‘intensifying’ over the weekend and now reports from The Times, who are pretty reliable, claim that United have increased their offer to ‘an initial £46.4 million’ (€55m).
It would be believed that add-ons are not in included in the fee mentioned and any variables are added on top of the transfer fee.
Should Sporting reject United’s new offer, it is hard to see a conclusion other than the transfer being abandoned. Although United were bullied into paying Harry Maguire’s £85 million valuation in the summer, the club are believed to be reluctant to being pushed into a corner.
And it is not unlike Manchester United to walk away from a deal due to unreasonable sums. The deal to bring Paulo Dybala was almost completed when the club pulled the plug due to Dybala’s high wage and image rights demands, as well as agent fees.
New reports from English media are backing up earlier claims and now Sky Sports say that United are still short of Sporting’s valuation of Bruno Fernandes but that talks are ongoing.
Sky say that the two clubs had agreed a £55 million deal in principle but that the two sides are now £10 million apart in valuation.
They also claim that discussions are continuing and United are now willing to up their offer from £42m to £46 million – backing up the report from The Times earlier.
Portugal’s BBC equivalent, RTP, are also reporting that Manchester United have increased their offer to €55m + €15m. It seems this is now a certainty, now it’s down to Sporting to make the next move.
More to follow.